Wednesday 17 June 2009

Grateful Guests

I had a disturbed night's sleep last night. I kept hearing noises and woke up a few times but then all was quiet - I'm not sure if the noise was real or imaginary. No matter, when it was finally time to get up and the alarm was ringing in my ear, it was the last thing I felt like doing.

I was a bit sluggish for the whole morning. The cloud cover that persisted made the day humid and oppressive which didn't help either. I would have happily sat down and meandered through the day without really doing anything, which we all feel like sometimes, but that wasn't really an option. Three breakfasts, one set of guests leaving, a bit of ironing, some business admin and a supermarket trip took care of the morning.

In case you get the impression that it's all work, work, work well it isn't all the time. After I got back from the supermarket I wandered down to the square and bumped into Patrick and Rafaele, just back from their three week holiday in Thailand. After Rafaele had gone back to work (she is the source of all our town info and gossip because she works for Cherie FM, the local radio station) I mentioned to Patrick that I might go out on my bike and he jumped at the chance to come with me.

I have always cycled on my own here but now realise how much better it is with someone else. It's not rocket science. It's more convivial because you chat all the way, more competitive because neither wants to be the one to turn back first and ultimately more enjoyable.

We had a good 90 minute ride down a lot of routes, lanes and country paths that I hadn't been on before. I had a 'petite chute' when I lost the front wheel off the edge of a narrow track down by the River Aude - slightly bloodied and bruised but no serious or permanent damage. At least I think not but three hours after getting back my left ankle has swollen up a bit and I spent the evening serving dinner trying to disguise the pain and a slight limp which will probably have made it worse. Of course, I could have just twisted it getting up out of my chair. I'm sure it will be fine in the morning.

This evening it was to back to work but the enjoyable sort of work - preparing a dinner for two of my guests. It was a pleasant but quiet evening and they went away happy, I think, to pack their bags for an early departure back to Edinburgh tomorrow.

More happy guests - like the ones who left a few day ago and have left the most wonderful review of 42rvh on www.tripadvisor.com - bless them - it is comments like those that make it all worthwhile and keep you going when you aren't in the mood.

No comments: