Monday 15 June 2009

Busy Busy

I said I was ready for action and it's a good job that I was - it has been pretty full on all weekend with guests in and out, room changes and two dinners to host.

New guests, on honeymoon from Canada, arrived on Friday, sleeping in my bedroom - grrrrrr - stop it and think of the money. "That bed was so comfortable", they said and "what a fantastic shower", they added. I know that - it's my bed and my shower. Let it go, Peter.

They left on Saturday and new guests arrived from Scotland to replace them. None of them get that this is a one man business not a five star hotel.

Leaving guests - "we will definitely be back from the market and away before noon (check-out deadline) and I know you have a lunch appointment". They returned at 12.45 to hand back their key.

Arriving guests - check-in time is four but arranged to meet them here between two-thirty and three because they were tired and wanted to settle in. They got back from lunch at four.

They think it's five star because I give them five star service of course - it's frustrating when that stuff happens but it goes with the territory - they all left/arrived happy and grateful and I bit my tongue and just got on with it.

Saturday evening meant dinner with Thursday's arrivals from Bolton, who were just the most enthusiastic guests I have had here for weeks. Three breakfasts Sunday morning followed by a room change and an airport drop-off and then dinner on Sunday for the other four guests followed by two breakfasts this morning and another room change, airport drop-off and two new sets of arrivals. Blimey what a weekend.

So, many early mornings and late nights but I have managed some middle of the day me-time in the fabulous sunshine we have been having down here. I had the most delicious plate of oysters at Café Saillan on Saturday ( I was late but not too late) - oysters from Gruissan, fresh, sweet, awesome with just a squeeze of lemon.

Flat peaches have arrived in the market which is a sure sign of summer and my menus changed from asparagus and duck confit to melon salad and roast chicken breast with tarragon butter and serrano ham, and from hot chocolate fondant to strawberries with meringue and cream to roast peaches with creme fraiche.

The fridge is now stocked full of rosé and white

As I have retreated out of my bedroom and the office into the kitchen and the spare room, I have taken my Mac with me to the kitchen table. It now shares a plug point with the toaster and a tabletop with the breakfast trays and the dinner service - it's not ideal. I can't tell you how many times and how many expletives have been issued over the last few days when I haven't been toasting bread because the computer has been plugged in! So frustrating.

But not the end of the world - nothing is.

More important than all or any of the above is that it has been nearly two weeks since I saw Debrah and will be another two weeks before I see her again. It's too long, it's not good and it won't happen again. We just have to get through maxed-out June.

No comments: