Friday 5 June 2009

Forecasts

We have had thunder and lightning this evening; an exciting backdrop to a guest dinner. The rain held off all day but just couldn't contain itself any longer by early evening when it let loose in one almighty torrential downpour that tested the gutters and drains to the full - after that the sky flashed on and off all evening and rumbled away in displeasure.

My guests baby monitor picked up the noise all evening and had them running back to their room to check on little Felix, who was of course fast asleep and oblivious to the whole thing.

I blame myself for the rain - I shouldn't have washed the car earlier today.

After a ten minute shower this morning the sky had cleared once more, so that when I went to the supermarket and then later on to the airport to collect the new guests, I had the roof down on the Audi and the wind in my hair.

I had a first from the new guests this evening whilst I was preparing dinner. They sent me a text message from their suite, which is 5 seconds away from my apartment, asking me to drop the iron and ironing board round to them. That has to be one of the worst examples of an abuse of technology that I have ever come across. How lazy can you get? Still, at least they were ironing something before they went out for dinner which is more than can be said for most of this un-chic town.

I also get my fair share of questions from 'soon to arrive' guests about what clothes they should bring and what the weather is going to be like - as if my first name is Gok and my last is Fish.

As I have never met these people before I have no idea of their usual dress sense and so impossible for me to advise - not that I am any authority on clothing anyway. As to the weather, well my guess is probably as good as the BBC or France Meteo - so there is at least a 50/50 chance that I'll get it right.

No comments: