Friday 2 May 2008

Reality check

Chris has had a bit of a reality check. After four years of living in fabulous accomodation that he helped build - firstly at Anna's chateau near St Emilion and latterly here, Chris has moved into a standard French rental apartment - and I don't think he was prepared for how basic it is, or the fact that there is, for the moment, no fridge, no cooking facilities and no shower curtain. The three flights of stairs to get to it aren't funny either. It does have a fabulous view over the square and across the rooftops, but that must be a small compensation.

So I cooked for him last night and then we wandered up to the Makhila bar for a quiet drink and then it all got a bit out of hand. As ever with such nights, it wasn't intended but it happened and today was very hard work as a result.

I jumped up early and went out for a ride on my bike, something I had been planning to do for a while. I soon realised what a mistake that was - after nearly coming of it three times I decided I would either end up in the river or on the bonnet of a car and beat a hasty retreat. Which was a shame as this was the first morning for a while that I didn't have to prepare breakfast for anyone but myself.

Yesterday was a bank holiday in France and, naturally, most people have made it into a four day weekend by not bothering with Friday as well. So imagine my surprise on Wednesday evening when my French bank called me at 5.55pm to check some details on a transfer that I had requested - nobody in France, unless self-employed, is still at work at five to six and still actively working, especially the day before the workers holiday! So, well done Credit Agricole Britline - it is the britline tag that gives it away - clearly they have to work 12 hour days with no paid overtime to make them feel at home.

The laid back doctor and his garden designer wife left on Wednesday, having thoroughly enjoyed themselves here I think, and then the two lovely Belgian boys turned up for a couple of nights B&B. They thought La Cite was terribly commercial and a bit vulgar so went off to Cap D'Agde on the coast to chase the boys - which from my standpoint is pretty vulgar in itself - tarts! One of them opened the door to me when I was delivering their breakfast tray dressed in the most inappropriate shorts I could imagine, but they left a lovely, if somewhat over-dramatic, message in our visitors book - 'they say perfection is boring - luckily it rained while we were here' - puhleese - guys, get a grip (if that's the right thing to say). I know Debrah is absolutely gutted that she missed them.

I picked up two new guests today, from Surrey, and we have two people coming from Shannon tomorrow - so another busy weekend in store - which of course is excellent and just what is supposed to be happening.

I'm very much looking forward to Debrah coming out tomorrow too - it's only been five days but it feels much much longer than that since I saw her.

No comments: