Friday 16 May 2008

Car Repairs

My car went back this morning for it's third visit to Garage Clement. The first had been to arrange the CAT and the second to fix the minor faults that had been identified and the third was to replace the indicator housing which I had smashed, in a complete miscalculation of the space/time continium, whilst parking at Tridome a week ago.

Three garage visits, one cheque for €63 for the CAT and a final bill covering everything of only €208 - most of which was parts. It still amazes me how French businesses make any money.

The owner of Garage Clement is clearly a car enthusiast and a die-hard mechanic doing exactly what he wants to do - tinkering about with cars. We conversed with difficulty because his mumbled accented French combined with the technical terms for various car parts was too much for me but he understood that I wanted it fixed and I wanted him to do it - and he did.

He also fixed the very wobbly drivers seat-back. which I didn't ask him to look at and for which he didn't charge me. So, he is a bit of a perfectionist, who can't leave something undone - if it's wrong he has to put it right. For that reason I will use him again when needed - but hopefully that won't be for another two years until the next CAT is due.

No comments: