Sunday 11 May 2008

Full

I'm relieved that tomorrow's new guests are here for two nights on a bed and breakfast basis - I don't think I could face another four course dinner having just prepared and eaten two in two days - partly because I just feel full and partly because I am just tired.

We had a very entertaining dinner last night - husband having finally joined wife. we had a lot in common (London, media etc) and there was a lot of conversation about the buying and wearing of shoes which clearly only involved the two females at the dinner table - and I suspect that more shoe conversations and further get-togethers will ensue as a result. There was a very funny story about the Savoy Grill, some pressed duck and an aspidistra - but I honestly couldn't reveal any more without betraying confidences.

Debrah arrived here on Friday for a very short break, and immediately the weather turned for the worse - not that I am linking the two events in any way - that would be ridiculous thinking. About an hour after she left this afternoon, dodging the drizzle, the clouds disappeared and a beautiful evening followed - just co-incidence I'm sure. It was so windy on Saturday lunchtime that the clientele at the Saillan were visibly disturbed by gusts of wind blowing their full glasses of wine off the tables - and nothing upsets a Saturday lunchtime drinker more than the waste of good, or even bad, wine.

During the same lunchtime, it came to my attention that there appears to be someone masquerading as my wife in the town - someone who clearly isn't my wife - which is bizarre, fascinating and disconcerting all at the same time. A local estate agent told me that she had met my wife ten days ago and offered to give her French lessons - which was a complete mystery to Debrah and also to me. I am so intrigued - further news forthcoming when I get to the bottom of it.

Chris has suddenly turned into the 'Casanova of Carcassonne', as Debrah described him. He has at least two women seemingly intent on getting to know him better and even my limited French understood the phrase 'couchez avec moi' even if Chris pretended not too. He treats it all with a stoic nonchalence and has even developed a classic gallic shrug to use when asked about it.

I have just finished the second dinner of the weekend with my new guests - a very sweet and very young couple from Oxfordshire. I think they had a good time - I've done (most) of the tidying up and now I am going to bed before I fall asleep on my keyboard,

Just before I go - a short cheer for Bolton Wanderers, who not only avoided relegation but also helped to stop Chelsea winning the league - hurrah on both counts.

No comments: