Monday 14 December 2009

Brrrrr

It was cold today. There was low cloud and sleet and snow all day long. Brrrr. It's the sort of damp cold that goes right through to your bones.

It has always been a problem to heat these vast rooms. It is criminal that the chimneys were destroyed when the building was split up into apartments - a big roaring log fire is exactly what is needed in these spaces. Instead the little electric radiators cost a fortune to run and stuggle to make a difference, not helped by the draughty window frames and huge windows or the fact that nobody has been here for the last five weeks.

It wasn't too bad this morning whilst I was doing physical work. There were curtain tracks to fix and light bulbs to change both inside and outside in the courtyard and a shower head to repair - all of which involved carting ladders about the place and much climbing. I still feel a bit nervous on ladders on my own even though it is now over two years since I came off them during the renovation.

I really noticed the cold this afternoon when I was working on my computer. When I got up from my desk my nose was frozen and I had shivers running down my back. Soup and casserole is what I have been eating today - on and off all day actually because the effect seems to wear off after about an hour. I shall go and put myself in bed shortly - that's the warmest place.

I was very impressed that the car started first time and seems to be non the worse for being neglected and sitting about in all weathers for the last 40 days. I think maybe I should get a cover for it if I am going to be away for longer periods next year.

Obviously it wasn't the sort of day for being out and about so I still haven't been down to see what's new in town or catch up on any gossip over a coffee with anyone. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: