Sunday 13 December 2009

Back to the Future

After five weeks in the UK I flew back out to Carcassonne today to do a few jobs and to prepare for Christmas and New Year.

To be honest, I have been kicking my heels a bit in London. I have finished any odd jobs and done all the admin and filed the tax returns. My real achievement of the past two weeks has been to annoy Debrah, who, despite wanting me back and appreciating dinner on the table, the rubbish being taken out and someone to talk too, just couldn't stand me being at home whilst she was at work every day - so I have got out of her hair for a few days - absence and all that.

I felt a bit bad about leaving Debrah and a bit odd about coming back to Carcassonne - it felt like such a long time since I had been here and the dreary train to Stansted, the palaver of airport security and the dithering 'where shall I sit' passengers on my flight all made the journey as tedious as it could possibly be.

It was grey and cold on arrival and the apartment was dark and chilly when I opened up the front door but there is something uplifting about opening the shutters and turning on the hot water and the heaters and re-acquainting oneself with familiar things. I now feel a tinge of excitement about getting everything in order for Christmas and New Year before Debrah arrives next week.

Naturally the fridge was empty so I ventured out towards the only supermarket usually open on a Sunday to get myself some supper. Imagine my shock when I found the town rammed with people and all the shops open - the French seem to have had some sort of transformation in my absence and decided to jump from 1970 into the 21st century in one go, although I suspect I haven't seen the last of the three day week and power cuts.

The postbox was also rammed full. The volume of 'publicité reaches a peak in the run up to the festive season and five weeks of flyers from Leclerc, Geant, et al makes for quite a pile of 'cuisse' and 'saumon' related special offers. In addition it would seem that, the day after I left for London, Le Figaro newspaper launched a concerted effort to persuade me to take a subscription out - so five weeks of back copies of that also went straight into the bin.

The lights are up in the streets and the ice rink and Christmas market in the square as usual. I will save that treat and my first 'vin chaud' for later in the week.

No comments: