Tuesday 1 July 2008

Powerless

Chris came up from the bar refit this morning and asked if he could borrow an extension lead. I reluctantly said yes - not that I mind lending tools to Chris for our own renovation projects, but I am loathe to see them leave the premises because I know from experience that they don't come back.

It was slightly ironic that the power went off almost immediately - not just in the apartment, or even the building - but for half of the bastide town. The power was out for most of the morning and only came back on at ten to twelve - that was a relief - nobody would have been able to have lunch otherwise! As it was no-one could have a coffee all morning and the place ground to a complete halt.

It was lucky that I had finished preparing breakfast for my guests (toast, coffee etc) even if they turned up for breakfast 45 minutes later than they asked for it - as if I have all day to stand around waiting on them. No - I had planned to go and paint the bathroom walls in Denis' apartment, but between the late guests and the power cut (bathroom is internal with no natural light) that plan was shelved and I went to the supermarket for supplies instead.

It seemed as if the whole of Carcassonne had the same idea because Leclerc was absolutely rammed - I did my shopping in true bloke fashion and filled the trolley with everything on my list (and not an item more) in a flat out 20 minutes and then had to wait for half an hour just to get through the checkout - I was a tad irritated but held it all together.

This afternoon I finally got round to painting said bathroom and then a couple of hours ironing for my normal hotel job ahead of a double room change tomorrow before checking on the renovation progress last thing and then cooking supper for the hard working boy and myself and taking a new booking and answering several enquiries - phew!

Not much else to note really. I did think to myself, as the sun continues to beat down (at last) in true Languedoc style, how little time I have had to actually enjoy it over the past two weeks. I don't mind having to be on duty seven days a week because it is our own business, but there has to be some upside as well - some time to relax, some time to appreciate it all. At the moment it seems to be 12 hours a day and Debrah in London all week and manic weekends - we need to move on to the next phase, whatever that is.

As soon as I know the answer I will tell you.

No comments: