Sunday 23 September 2007

Adieu Marcel

It is with great sadness that I read today on the BBC news website of the death of Marcel Marceau, the incomparable French mime artist.

Sad, because he was one of a kind.

Sad, because he was the inspiration for many very funny moments for Debrah and I.

I guess you had to be there really and I guess it is only funny for us, but when Debrah flippantly answered 'Marcel Marceau' to the question 'Who is the President of France?' and I then proceeded to act out the mime of a voiceless President in different situations, an unbreakable link was established for us between our life here in France, French politics and silent comedy.

I am sure no-one else will understand the poignancy of this, but with hand on heart and pained look on my face, I can honestly say we will miss you Marcel.

Au revoir

No comments: