Saturday 27 October 2007

What a difference the sun makes

Two days ago I sat at the kitchen table working on my computer all day. I was wearing a sweater and a big fleece over the top of it and I had the heating on for the first time this year and I was still cold. Yesterday it was grey and it rained all day and even though I was working (painting walls if you must know) it was still cold and miserable.

But today was as if none of that had happened. I awoke to a cloudless bright blue Languedoc sky and by the time the sun had reached the Saturday post-market drinking hour at 'midi' it was hot enough to be sat outside in just a shirt and to be feeling the heat on your face. What a contrast.

And doesn't the sun perk everyone up. The market was wearing it's best happy face and so were the people of the town. The summer soft fruits and salad leaves have finally gone and the stalls now groan under the weight of apples and pears and plums and of pumpkins and cabbages and leeks. Winter food is here. It's time for soups and stews. We have already had one beef casserole and one coq au vin this week, as insulation against the cold. There is a bowl of split peas soaking in water behind me on the kitchen worktop right now - ready to be made into a thick hot pea and ham soup tomorrow.

But at lunchtime today we had a brief glimpse of the summer just gone and it felt as if everyone was making the most of this last fling of warm sunshine. Laughter and happiness abounded. The cafes and bars were crammed. The bonhomie and the wine overflowed. I ate a fabulous plate of six oysters - their shells loosened, and served with just a slice of lemon and a hunk of baguette - for only 5 euros - incredible value, very fresh and absolutely delicious.

No comments: