Monday 22 October 2007

We have Poles in France too

Where have you been hiding all through my renovation? Why couldn't I find you six months ago when I slaved for three weeks with Ed, the smelly Dutchman, to plaster the apartment? Why are Polish craftsmen so impressive?

The Polish plasterers arrived today and, forgive me sounding excited, but these boys are damn good and damn quick. Even Chris is impressed and that takes a lot of doing. They are also extremely polite and can't speak any English, which makes for interesting interchanges about materials and tools followed by long silences when we all try to work out what we are going to say next and wonder whether we will understand each other to any great effect.

Watching them just get on with the job was an absolute joy and will be money well spent because without them I seriously doubt that we would be finished on time, but with them I can confidently predict completion of all work by the end of November - and that makes me jump up and down with extreme happiness.

Chris was so happy about it that he started tiling at 7.00pm this evening! He said he was bored with the internet and he may as well just get on with it. Well don't let me stop you. After a weekend of disappointments on the work and sporting front I'm so glad that something is going in the right direction.

No comments: