Tuesday 7 April 2009

Bring on the Summer

My last minute booking Spanish guests arrived last evening - she was looking pregnant and tired, he was looking stressed and tired. They appeared to have brought half their 'casa' with them from Barcelona. However, language problems apart, they seem to be very happy with the place.

It hasn't been a great first day for them though - it has rained pretty much non-stop since first thing this morning, which is somewhat annoying as I have cleaned all the windows in all the apartments over the last few days - typical.

My other guests, who arrived on Sunday with a roof-down pick up from the airport, have had a slightly better time of things but even they had to abandon their canalside walk this morning - they retreated back to their suite and cracked open some wine.

I had a wine filled afternoon, myself, down at Vinecole, where Matthew and Emma were hosting a tasting for holiday property owners and presenting their schedule of events for the summer. Finally I managed to be get to chat with Tim Ford, the owner of Domaine Gayda, where the wine school is based - and also to his lovely wife Barbara. It was such a shame that Debrah wasn't here too because I know she would have loved to meet them - but we will try to arrange that soon.

I did dinner for the Sunday arrivals on Sunday evening, which was very enjoyable - because they seemed to really enjoy it and also because I hadn't done a dinner for a few weeks and I enjoyed it too. Asparagus is back as the 'entree' of choice but the rest of the dinner followed the tried and trusted winter route of confit de canard, cheese and hot chocolate fondant.

I am so looking forward to ripe melons and tomatoes - I have had enough of winter food - bring them on.

No comments: