Tuesday 2 September 2008

Is it rubbish or not?

Frustratingly, I seem to find less and less time to sit here in front of my computer and relate my experiences to all and sundry. On the one hand it means that I am busier with clients and the business and on the other it means that I am getting less time to reflect and take it all in - as ever in life, a balance between conflicting pressures is the best course for sanity and peace of mind - so finding the balance is key.

After our fairly relaxed last week, we were a full house again for the weekend - a lovely couple from the north-east of England celebrating their 10th anniversary and a lovely couple of boys from London celebrating nothing at all - or just perhaps that these days they are now free to tour Europe without issue - good for them. Small world that it is, one of the London boys came originally from a small town in the north east just down the road from where the other couple lived - don't you just love co-incidences?

Debrah had her head down all weekend re-designing our website - and also had a loose tooth - which I can assure you isn't a good thing. The last time Debrah had a tooth problem was 15 years ago on our first ever holiday abroad together - a very large painkilling injection in her arse got her home and a general anaesthetic finally sorted out the tooth - much trauma - lots of stress - not looking forward to dealing with that again but sort it we must because it won't go away unless we do - there is, after all, only so much head in the sand you can do.

On Sunday morning we managed to get a little bit of relaxation - well, of a sort - we went to a brocante (car boot sale) at a local village called Cavanac. I actually find these things quite stressful, whereas Debrah finds them quite fun and relaxing. I think I find it a bit embarrassing looking interested at somebody's complete and utter shit, that they are trying to pass onto you for some ridiculous price - with a straight face - no I'm not joking - it's a 1980's original. I'm thinking - it's a video! - no-one in the new century owns a video player.

Despite all that we came home with an armful of somebody else's shit - a music stand and two portfolios of music sheets, a old and rather faded and broken military map of the Languedoc Roussillon region, a table lamp and a box of old curtain fittings and rings.

The table lamp is actually in use on the office desk right now and is casting a fabulous light on my workspace, so I am very grateful for it. I had to buy a new plug for it but having wired it up and plugged it in, I was totally surprised to find that the bulb, that was in the lamp when we bought it, actually worked. He missed a trick there - could have charged us extra for a working light bulb.

It was all change yesterday with both sets of clients leaving and Debrah going back to London and new clients from Australia via the UK - I, and my faithful Audi, made four separate trips to the airport, which I believe is a record for one day.

The Aussies had dinner this evening - just the two of them and me - and a very stimulating and interesting conversation it was - I am very happy when clients are clearly having a lovely time, not just here, but in Carcassonne as a whole because it is a great place to visit.

So to tomorrow - Aussies out and new clients in - the cycle continues.

No comments: