Thursday 13 March 2008

Too much work, not enough money

So much to do and only one week in London to do it all. I always think that five full working days will be plenty of time but the hours just seem to disappear and the list of jobs gets longer rather than shorter as the week goes on.

If it was just work for my London job then I might get it all done, but even then that's not guaranteed - and we are going through another/ongoing difficult funding period and fees to Directors are the last thing to be paid which is causing financial difficulties just as we are trying to get the business in France off the ground.

I thought that I would be able to dovetail my two work lives, but the bookings are going so well that it looks increasingly difficult that I can continue to do both because it is going to be increasingly hard to get back to London as often as the business there will need. If I have to make a choice, it would have to be our own business not somebody else's. After all, this is our future.

As ever, there are also a number of other home administration/mundane jobs that need to be done which I don't want to leave Debrah to deal with when I am back in France. One such issue was that, somehow, we had been driving around for nearly a year without any car tax. I know what happened - we changed address, we didn't notify the DVLA and so we didn't get a reminder notice - an easy mistake but one that carries a potential £1,000 fine which was worrying Debrah somewhat. I called the DVLA and it is now all straightened out - a cheque for the back tax and a new tax disc from the Post Office for the next year - would you believe it though, I could only get to the Post Office on the day that the tax increased after the Budget - talk about rubbing salt into the wound.

No comments: