Tuesday 18 March 2008

Statistics

One of the features of my new computer is it's built in webcam, which means when I speak to Debrah of an evening on the wonder that is Skype, she gets to watch me. As Debrahs machine isn't as new she doesn't have the same techno bits and bobs - meaning I still look at her lovely smiley picture rather than seeing her sat in bed on the phone to me. Well, lucky her, getting to see my big nose and shiny forehead in the rather unflattering picture that the webcam generates.

The downside (for me) is that she can see every gulp of red wine taken and is no doubt compiling a gulp-per-minute analysis and chart to be used in evidence against me at some future date. I can just see the little lines being added up on a pad next to her with a satisfying diagonal one through the others every time I reach my fifth gulp. Actually, I'll probably be saved the chart as Debrah isn't at all statistically-minded, but it won't save me from the conclusions!

My guests managed to imbibe a fair bit last night. They went for the canapes and cocktails plus their dinner option all in the same first evening here - and being on holiday any normal reservations disappeared. So we went from fizz to white and then red and then dessert and back to red. "I think I drank a bit too much last night", he muttered this morning as I cheerily handed them their breakfast tray. 'You're on holiday', I thought - don't worry about it.

They are a nice couple - getting married soon - aahhh. They only enquired last Friday and here they are. I am still amazed at how well it all seems to be going. I have taken 8 bookings in the last week and the majority are still within the next two months - most of the summer period is still available and if that gets full too then it will all have been far more successful than I could have hoped - but I don't want to get ahead of myself, so let's put those feet firmly back on the ground.

Mind you, I had my first direct enquiry from the USA today so we have now gone intercontinental in our reach, which is just brilliant. An inspection of the stats on my web counter revealed that the enquiry came from Dallas, Texas - now that is a bit big brotherish, isn't it. You see, sadly, I am indeed quite happy to compile charts of statistics!

No comments: