Wednesday 19 March 2008

Expectation

We have had such a run of bookings that I feel slightly disappointed that I haven't taken a booking today. My expectations have been built by the volume of enquiries and some of the very short timescale bookings that have happened over the last week. I don't want to appear greedy, but we've still got some dates in April and May to fill - where are you? - come on, it's fabulous here.

That's what the first few comments in our visitors book say and who am I to argue with a paying guest. Everyone has been very kind with their comments and I aim to keep it that way. My chocolate fondant pudding seems to have come in for particular praise and, according to Debrah, is set to become a bit of an institution at this establishment, which is rather exciting. The spare leftover pudding which has gone a bit fudge-like when it is cold seems to be a real hit when produced on a breakfast tray the morning after.

My current guests have eaten so well over the last couple of days that they decided to take the bikes out for a gentle cycle alongside the Canal du Midi this afternoon - it was, after all, a glorious Spring day of azure blue skies and, with the first signs of new growth on the trees, it must have been extremely beautiful along the towpath - it is at any time of the year. It's so easy just to keep pedaling, forgetting that every metre in one direction has to be done in the opposite direction, into the wind, on the way back - I think they will sleep well tonight, and be doubly determined to go to the gym when they get home, for a couple of weeks at least (judging by my success with post holiday good intentions)

I wish I had been able to get out of the apartment more this week, myself - the weather has been good and I have been feeling a bit frustrated trying to sort some problems. The supplier of our toiletries was supposed to deliver on Monday but phoned to say the address must be wrong because there wasn't a hotel there - well, actually it was the suppliers delivery company who messed up by assuming they were looking for a hotel rather than private apartments. So I have had to stay in, in case they turned up, whilst chasing the German supplier and the French delivery company for a re-delivery date (which was eventually confirmed earlier today as being tomorrow - so I will have to stay in tomorrow as well.

I can't stay in all day though, because I need to take my guests to the airport and collect Debrah off the same flight - hurrah - I have missed her since Saturday and am really looking forward to spending some time with her in France, if only those guests will give us some peace.

No comments: