Thursday 4 December 2008

Management

I was the host for the latest meeting on the co-proprietors which took place last evening - time: 6pm, venue: my dining room, my comprehension of five French people talking at the same time: very little.

I might have the largest share of the vote (because I own the greatest proportion of the floor area) but I have the least ability to influence the direction or ultimate outcome of any debates. It is embarrassing and a little tedious (but necessary) that I need to clarify in my poor French (or Brigitte's poor English translation on my behalf) what has just been agreed or decided. That is not a criticism of Brigitte - without her ability to speak some English I would be completely in the dark.

One of the problems of my shortcomings with the language is my inability to understand the psyche of the French mind and the nuances and undercurrents of any decisions. We all have our own motives for doing things or wanting things and it is sometimes hard enough to work that out in one's own language - never mind in one you are considerably less than fluent in. I would hate to think of them manipulating me for their own ends but I can't help but be suspicious because I have no idea if they are or not. In the end you just have to trust your judgement of people and their character.

So, they are a bunch of charlatans who are using me - then, on the other hand, maybe not. I have no idea.

Still, we have reduced the management charge by more than 50% since firing the managing agents and taking over the building ourselves but there is much renovation work to be done on the facade and the stairwell and we have a troublesome tenant on the second floor whom we would all like to see depart as soon as we can find a way to convince the proprietor (who lives in Paris) that he should go - moves are afoot, apparently, from what I can understand.

Sadly, the worldwide economic situation isn't helping our desire to expand the business here. Nobody seems interested in selling. They all think their money is better off in stone and lime mortar than in the banking system and I suspect that there are tax incentives that they are clinging onto - so we are hitting a solid stone wall in our expansion plans. Alors!

Brigitte and Christine (from the beauty salon downstairs) hung around for a bit after everyone else had left - there was an unfinished bottle of wine and, despite the French insistence that they don't drink very much, they weren't leaving until it had been despatched.

Christine had put up with the noise from our renovation directly above her beauty salon for a year or so and this was the first opportunity I'd had to show her the results. Of course she was impressed and very complimentary - everyone is - it is a fantastic space and a fabulous renovation.

It might just be the very best apartment in Carcassonne - so it would be a tragedy to have to give it up but who knows what will happen in these troubled economic times. We have to keep an open mind.

No comments: