Thursday 21 August 2008

Hosting and Tasting

My new guests arrived yesterday - his birthday, her treat - how sweet. Before they went off for dinner last night they asked if they could contribute some extra money to the wine budget for dinner tonight - "well, of course", I replied and instantly turned this evenings supper into a wine tasting evening.

The upshot was a very pleasurable day for me - planning, buying, researching and finally providing. I decided on three local wine regions to taste side by side and then visited our fabulous local delicatessen/wine shop,'La Ferme', to select a wine from each region. I did a bit of research on each wine and the region they came from and made some notes so as to give my guests as much information as possible.

Every time I present or partake in a side by side regional wine tasting I am always amazed at the differences in wines that are made less than 30km apart from each other. It was also fascinating that, although we all liked all the wines, we all preferred a different one and ranked them all in a completely different order. Despite that we all agreed the order that we would drink them in and duly set about despatching all three bottles over dinner - plus half the bottle of dessert wine that was also requested and included. All in all, another top 42rvh dinner, I think.

Can we introduce 'wine tasting and dinner hosting' to the next 'limpics'. Medals to be awarded not for guessing the wines or the grape varieties but for having an enjoyable evening and a good giggle about life in general. Anyone taking it too seriously will be disqualified immediately.

No comments: