Tuesday 22 September 2009

Day out

I went back to have another look at the watermill today. I think it's very interesting but it's probably a bit small and the aspect not quite right (best side of the building is north facing).

I am also a bit obsessed with the proximity to watercourses given the change in climate patterns and the increase in occurences of flash flooding over the last ten years. A river frontage is fabulous but not when it's in your living room.

When I last visited I asked the agent about the big flood here in 1999 and he said that it didn't reach the house. After he had gone I wandered up to the Mairie and asked and was given a similar answer. So that's alright then.

After an overcast start it turned into a glorious day here today. After breakfasts and an airport drop-off I drove out to Lagrasse to meet Michael and Nicole for some lunch. As I set off the sun was just beginning to break through the clouds and mist and it was extremely beautiful in a moody misty autumnal way as I motored down the valley.

I really like this time of the year here in the Languedoc. The weather is mostly dry, the days are warm without the mad heat of mid-summer, the wine harvest is in full flow making more lovely stuff to drink next year and the colours and the countryside look magnificent.

Michael had a bit of a hangover and they were running a bit behind schedule - so lunch wasn't yet ready. I suggested we go off to look at the mill again first and then come back. I was also taken by them to meet an English lady, Anna, who has lived in the region a long time, runs a property sale website and knows pretty much everything that is going on with sales and purchases. She has given us another option to look at and also mentioned in passing "You know that the watermill had floodwater up to the first floor in 1999". Oh really - how very interesting!

By the time we got back to Lagrasse there wasn't a cloud in the sky. We ate lunch on the terrace and made plans for the week ahead before I headed back to Carcassonne to check on my guests - they were of course just knackered from spending all day up at the Cité being tourists.

So the watermill has probably been ruled out but I have two other options to look at, and photograph and measure, before I head back to the UK for a few days next week.

No comments: