Tuesday 21 July 2009

Am I bothered

When I went out cycling yesterday I decided to head in the opposite direction to my previous day's ride i.e. west not east, so that in theory the wind would be at my back on the return part of the ride. I was planning something a little gentler and easier than the Sunday marathon.

I should have checked the weather forecast rather than just assuming it was the same. The wind had completely changed direction and was blowing just as strong and still straight into my face as I tried to get back to Carcassonne. The landscape is flatter to the west of town so there was even less shelter too. It was a mere 35kms (listen to me being so blasé) but it ended up being a good hard workout.

So much so that I was completely devoid of energy today. I just couldn't get going at all - I felt lethargic and tired and a bit bored and a bit down in the dumps and depressed. I'm not really sure why - probably a combination of lots of things - or maybe just no real reason at all and just one of those days.

I was up at 6am to prepare a very early breakfast for my departing clients who were on a very early train to Paris. I drove them to the station before the rest of the town had surfaced.

I stripped out their room and then sort of came to a halt. I did get the scaffolding erected in the Mezzanine suite and sorted out the drooping curtain track and the curtains that are constantly coming off their hooks/rings - but it was a massive effort and took the last bit of energy I had.

I had wanted to clean out and prepare both rooms for the next guests due at the weekend but I didn't. If they had been due today then it would have been done of course, but sometimes not having immediate changeovers just stops you dead - maybe I work better under the pressure of a deadline or maybe I just needed to sit down.

Sit down is what I mostly did. Janice came round to talk about handling changeovers next year and we shared a very civilised pot of Earl Grey tea for 45 minutes or so. I watched a bit of the TdF on the telly whilst I still have the opportunity to use the big TV in the Mezzanine and then I went out to Decathlon on the edge of town to buy myself a bike computer so that I will now know exactly how far I have cycled and how fast and all that other statistical nonsense that has always fascinated me since I was a kid.

What I didn't do today was ride my bike and judging by the absolute gale that has been blowing all afternoon and evening it was a good decision. As I write this big fat blobs of rain are falling outside which will put a dampener on the Seal concert in the Cité and the free music in the square (someone called BumCello - enough said).

Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow with renewed vim and vigour - we shall see.

No comments: