Wednesday 14 January 2009

Two numbers?

I visited France Telecom again today determined to get a solution to my permanently engaged landline. All I got was a freefone number to call and instructions on how to get through to someone who could run diagnostic tests on the software for my number.

At times like this my lack of fluent French frustrates the hell out of me, but I gritted my teeth and called the number anyway. To be fair I got through to someone who went out of their way to help me, was incredibly patient with my lack of fluency, repeated herself constantly until I understood what she was saying and, as far as I know, ran numerous tests on the number and the line.

The good news is that I have a solution and it is now possible for me to receive calls. The bad news is that it is a totally different number from the one that I have been using for two years!

It appears that I have two numbers with France Telecom (which is news to me) and the correct one for me to use through my 'livebox' (internet connection) is different from the one that I have been using without problem up until now - confused? - you bet.

So I now have a number that works - if anyone wants to call me in France I can give them a number that will ring in my home and I can answer it and chat away. The problem is it isn't the number that I have been using for the last few years and is on our business website and our business cards and postcards and any other bit of marketing communication that we have put in place for the business - what a complete nightmare.

It is absolutely no comfort that my French friends tell me that they have the same problems with France Telecom and that it is nothing to do with me being English - just everything to do with them being incompetent. That's all very well, but I foresee more head strain and angst until this is resolved.

If anyone wants to call me the number that works is 00 33 977 52 44 36

Go on, try it, just for the novelty value if nothing else.

No comments: