Monday 23 June 2008

Summer at last

The summer has finally arrived. In the middle of last week I awoke to a magnificent azure blue Languedoc sky and when I ventured out I knew that, at last, some decent weather was on the way - the air temperature was noticably up and you could smell the heat on the breeze.

It's been like that every day since last Wednesday - and not before time. May was very wet and even at the start of last week it actually felt cold in the morning - everyone was complaining about the damp and the cold and the wind. Guess what? - everyone was complaining at the weekend that it was too hot!! I have also found out that the French complain and talk about the weather as much as the English do. When it rains they complain of 'le temps anglais' and when it doesn't it is 'trop chaud'. Just like home really.

The fruit needed some sunshine though. Last year the cherries didn't ripen because it rained all through April and this year the melons haven't ripened because it rained all through May - lots of water content, but just not sweet enough. Excitingly though the first figs were in the market last Saturday - just love the figs - absolutely delicious with honey and yoghurt for breakfast.

Unlike my guests, who have come and gone, my cough and catarrh and voice are still struggling with the infection I picked up two weeks ago. Then again, I haven't had a day without guests and I haven't had a day 'off' as a result, so I haven't really given it a chance to sort itself out. I have tested several of the cough medicines available over the counter in French pharmacies - very tasty actually - when I was a kid I remember that medicine always tasted horrible - now I think they are very good straight or maybe on the rocks or with a dash of tonic. Maybe I shouldn't admit to that!

No comments: