Friday 27 June 2008

Flashback Take 2

I've seen those TV programmes where people go back to the houses they used to live in or grew up in and because it's TV you think it must all be a bit staged and managed. Well, there were no cameras here last evening when the former owners of 42rvh, M et Mme D'Arzac and their son, came to visit and see what we have done with their old place.

I have seen M D'Arzac in the town from time to time - I recognised him, even though I had only met him the once, when we completed the purchase of the apartments three years ago. I have seen him walk past in the street, casting a glance up at the first floor windows.

M D'Arzac is a surgeon, and it's a small town. When Des was scheduled for a knee replacement recently, he just happened to mention the name of his surgeon and my ears lit up. I gave Des some of our cards and asked him to give them to M D'Arzac. A month later I had an email from his son, Aurélien, asking to book a room for his sister as a surprise for her engagement - the studio used to be her bedroom for ten years. I asked them around for an aperitif and last evening they came - I wasn't sure what to expect and it all felt a little surreal.

M D'Arzac was impressed with what we had done, they all were actually, but Mme D'Arzac seemed genuinely a bit moved by seeing her old house and Aurélien was a bit freaked out by being back in the house he grew up in. His sister doesn't yet know about her night in her old room and god knows how she will react, what with the emotion of an engagement as well - could be very interesting on August 15th here - maybe I should get some cameras!

They were very charming and very complimentary and have invited Debrah and I to visit them in Pennautier, where they now live.

For me, one of the most pleasing aspects of the hour I spent with them was that the whole conversation took place in French. I must have murdered their language, but they understood me and I understood them - so, 'voila', maybe I am getting the hang of it after all.

No comments: