Wednesday 27 June 2007

Feeling the strain

The completion date for the appartment renovation has been moved back so many times I have lost count. It was originally scheduled to be finished at the end of May so that it could go on the market to rich holidaymakers from the beginning of July. That idea was scrapped when it became clear it just wasn't going to be ready in time. We are now looking to have both the appartment and the studio ready for letting next year, which naturally has a big knock-on effect on our income which is causing much angst. Of more immediate concern, and also causing much angst, is the arrival of guests and our own dear sweet grown up sulky teenager children on 13th July in time for the French national holiday festivities and fireworks the following day.

This is a deadline that can't be moved. The guests have to stay in the newly renovated and finished appartment, so time is now very much in short supply. Admittedly, some of the delays have been caused by changes of mind and changes of plan which have added to the workload - such as lifting the ceiling, moving the bedroom wall, re-planning the bathroom layout and replastering the whole appartment! The trough of despair that gripped 'the genius' for a month or two didn't help much either as his productivity slowed to next to nothing - or 'glacial speed' as my wife so wonderfully phrased it.

However, for the past week and a half he seems to be, mostly, focused again and Ed's arrival has pushed things on at a hitherto unknown pace. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised this afternoon when 'the genius' asked if Ed could stay for a few days longer as it would really help. So instead of going home on Saturday, Ed is going to stay until next Wednesday.

After my fall last week, my productivity has been a bit variable. The day after I was a bit stiff and sore but then things felt better. However, I am now, despite getting straight back on the ladder and the scaffold, a lot more circumspect and wary and feel a lot less cavalier and nervous which is slowing me down a bit. As I haven't really been sat with my feet up, I haven't really given anything a chance to get over the impact of the fall - so, nearly one week on, the bruising is a lovely colour and my leg is quite sore and still a bit swollen. The bruising is also a very good indicator of all the impact points. I was so pre-occupied with my lower right leg because that is what was hurting like hell, that I didn't consider anything else a problem. The very beautiful purple and yellow hues now showing indicate a substantial impact on my left knee too, as well as the whole of my right forearm and wrist.

Adding to that, I've now got a carpet burn on my left arm. It's not what you're thinking though - it's from the new piece of seagrass that I purchased this afternoon to go onto the bedroom and hallway floor in the appartment. Loading a five by four metre piece of carpet into the top of an Audi Cabriolet isn't easy and damage to me, the car and the carpet sadly ensued - though thankfully none of it serious.

Despite all that, and before asking Ed to stay on, I took the decision to stay for two extra days by delaying my return to London from today until Friday. It was a difficult decision to make because there are several things I need to do in London for work and, inevitably, having made my choice, something else cropped up which I can't deal with from here.

I rely on the internet and skype and my mobile phone for doing my job from here - but the good old British banking system doesn't want to play the game. I can do most things on line or by phone but, apparently, sending money to an overseas supplier still requires me to turn up at the branch in person and complete the relevant forms. I shall take a quill pen with me and ask for a pot of ink for said task. Bah humbug to them all!

No comments: