Friday 22 June 2007

Back on it

Whether it be a bicycle, a horse or a ladder, there is only one thing to do when you have a fall - get straight back on, or up in this case. So this afternoon I was back up the ladder continuing the sanding that I was in the middle of doing yesterday. I didn't feel that confident but I had to do it. Actually, I only managed about an hours work today, but thankfully Ed and the genius have been cracking on so everything is still on track for mid-July.

I awoke feeling very stiff-jointed but extremely thankful that it was no more than that. Remarkably, the swelling below my knee has gone down already and after another clean of my wounds they don't look too bad - sorry to have made such a fuss. Mind you, as the throbbing below my knee has receded I have realised that there were other impact points which are now feeling a bit tender. It also makes me realise that I am not as young as I once was and even without the effects of the fall my left ankle, right knee, right wrist and both shoulders have been complaining for months. It's a strange situation to feel stronger and fitter than I have done for twenty years yet have continuous aches and twinges and clicks and cracks of muscles and bones.

I am still a bit puzzled though about the dent made in the ladder. We have all examined it from every angle and the only conclusion is that the impact was between my leg and the ladder rung. Maybe I have solid bones because there doesn't appear to be any serious or permanent damage - to me anyway. I have never broken a bone (please don't let that be tempting fate) and I remember the surgeon who removed my molar teeth, twenty five years ago, telling me he had to virtually stand on my chest to pull them out because my jaw was so hard. I like to think the reason I have always been heavy for my height is down to my bone structure - no, don't laugh - please.

Last night all the town was out for the music festival. Bars that usually only open at lunchtime had tables out in the street and bars that don't serve food in the evening had a 'menu du soir' especially for the occasion. Every open window seemed to be belting out some form of music and every square in town had a stage set up and bands playing. At the top of the hill was a stage with french rap artists for the young people. Over by the canal port was a stage with some french rock (surely an oxymoron). The courtyard of the Musee de Beaux Arts had a jazz concert and the main square had a band playing tributes to the traditional French 'chanson'. Overriding it all was a fantastic atmosphere, everyone out eating, drinking and bumping into friends and acquaintances.

For my part, several glasses of red wine, home before midnight for a chat with my loved one and a couple of nurofen before bed made sure that I didn't feel a thing until this morning.

No comments: